Thursday 12 November 2009

Faith No More



Man, I used to dig these guys back in the day ("the day" being around the early nineties). Then I kind of forgot about them for a bit, and so they broke up. But I sneakily started listening to them again, and so now a good few years later they seem to have reformed. Huzzah!

One of the things that makes Faith No More so terribly splendid is the diversity in their music, and the ease with which they drift from one style of music to another; all the while still sounding like the same band, making it sound bloody great and not like it's just some humorous diversion.

A lot of it has to be to do with Mike Patton's vocal. The man has a distinctive and frankly incredible voice; even if it isn't immediately apparent on early efforts, such as here on Epic.


They did a confusing, but cool, cover of Easy not long after...


...and then just started doing whatever the fuck they wanted. Good for them.





In all honesty, I'm not sure how I feel about this "re-union". I'm sure I read somewhere that Mr Patton wasn't interested unless they were going to push forwards and do something different... as it is they seem to have mostly been doing the festival circuit, playing a "greatest hits" kind of set.

Fuck it. What's it got to do with me anyway? All the old records are still cool (apart from Angel Dust, that's a bit ropey), and I'm sure that if they do put out anything new it'll be wicked.


No comments:

Post a Comment