Sunday 23 January 2011

Botch

The first I heard of Botch was when they decided to quit being a band. A number of people seemed very upset about this; but having never heard anything by them, I found it hard to understand why...

Still, they seemed to be held in high enough regard to be worth checking out at some point; so when I found a copy of Unifying Themes Redux lurking in the murky depths of a second hand record shop, I grabbed it.

It turned out to be a collection of early releases and a few live tracks, and it was (and still is) quite splendid. Phrases like "jagged" and "angular" get thrown around quite a lot when discussing this kind of jagged and angular hardcore, but I don't like to use them because a) it's derivative and predictable, and b) those words don't really mean anything when applied to music. That said, Botch's jagged and angular hardcore is both jagged and angular. And pleasingly unpredictable.

And noisy.




No comments:

Post a Comment