Monday 15 August 2011

Hymns

I saw these guys earlier in the year, playing alongside Shapes. I get the impression that I should have given more of a shit about seeing them, as frontman Sam used to be in another band called Blakfish. They bashed out some kind of alt-math-pop reminiscent of early Biffy Clyro, before evaporating in a puff of apathy a year or so ago.

But I'd never really given Blakfish the time before; and now that I have, I'm still not that fussed. Instead, I gave a shit about seeing Hymns because they had great songs, that they played really well. They have less of a garagey sound than the average guitar/drums two-piece outfit; it's still got a delightfully lo-fi feel to it, but they don't feel the need to turn up the fuzz and the feedback to try to flesh out the sound.

The recently released five track DVD "Revelations" is limited to just 150 copies, comes in some natty packaging and is highly recommended.




Myspace: nope
Wikipedia: nope

No comments:

Post a Comment