Sunday 23 October 2011

††† (Crosses)

Free stuff is cool, but also - by definition - valueless. Well, sort of. In any case, the fact that I hadn't spent any money on it meant that I had no real sense of urgency in getting around to listening to this self-titled ep.

††† is a side project from Chino Moreno (Deftones), Shaun Lopez (Far) and some guy called Scott Chuck; and when I did eventually get around to sticking it in and pressing play, my first thought was that I was glad I hadn't spent any money on it. Not that it was particularly bad; it just sounded a bit like a more radio-friendly Team Sleep b-side. All production, not a lot of soul.

After the first track, though, things got a lot better; and by the end of the fifth and final track, I was reaching for the play button again.

I still can't get into the dreary plod of the first track (†his Is A †rick), but the rest of the ep is pretty damn great; great celestial waves of lush electronica with a malevolent undercurrent. It's like being smothered with a pillow by Depeche Mode, whilst Shaun Lopez and Chino Moreno jam out sinister ambient electronica in the background...

Similes were never really my strong suit. If you'd like to be smothered with a pillow by Depeche Mode, go to http://www.crossesmusic.com/ to download the ††† ep for free.




Myspace: nope

No comments:

Post a Comment