Monday 26 April 2010

Underworld

As previously discussed, it took a while for me to warm to bleepy stuff. Underworld in particular had a mountain to climb if they were ever to win a place in my heart, since they first came to my attention when I heard Born Slippy NUXX on the Trainspotting soundtrack - and that song fucking sucks.

But despite the challenge they faced, there was no direct mail marketing; no online or TV promotion; not even a personal message from the band themselves imploring me to just give them one more chance to prove themselves. It was almost like they were completely unfazed by my indifference.

But it clearly had an effect; because why else would they have copied Orbital's strategy of writing a killer tune and then sticking it on the Wipeout 2097 soundtrack, where I would just happen to stumble upon it?


And then it turns out that they'd had a whole stack of killer tunes all along, drawing on a whole heap of different styles; from pounding pounding techno music to weirdly ambient acoustic floatiness. The sneaky bastards.




No comments:

Post a Comment