Friday 2 July 2010

Tim Hecker

Kinda following on from last week, really. I don't really know much about Tim Hecker, and certainly don't listen to much of his music - although since it's all ambient shoegaze soundscape electronica (this is a good thing), chances are I will start fairly soon.

The reason he's here, and the reason this follows on from ISIS being the greatest band in the world ever, is that a few years ago ISIS released a 2cd "Remixes and Reinterpretations" record based on their timeless classic, Oceanic. All of the artists involved were handpicked by the band themselves, and as the title suggests they each remixed or reinterpreted a single track from the album.

There are two versions of Tim Hecker reinterpretations on there. I say reinterpretations, because as far as I can tell there is not a single element of the original song present.

I can only find one of these versions out there in the interwebs; but that's fine, because in truth they are both quite similar. It's the most lonely, desolate and peaceful piece of music I've ever heard. Puts me in mind of arctic seascapes, all cold and hard and white. So vast, so powerful it renders all existence and endeavour futile and meaningless.

Also, it's quite pretentious (in case you hadn't got that already).


Just for reference, here's the ISIS version.


No comments:

Post a Comment